The Sweeney Alliance has been a leader in educational resources addressing the emotional needs of families and professionals since 1992.
Our Mission Statement The Sweeney Alliance, a non-profit, Texas-based organization, provides training programs and educational material relating to grief, post-traumatic stress, and suicide prevention for the emergency response community and their families in North America. We promote a mentally healthy work environment through cooperation with local, state, and national fire service and law enforcement agencies and organizations. We make available local grief support groups and electronic newsletters and bereavement resources globally for the public in general.
Our Board of Directors
- Peggy Sweeney, President ~ mortician; bereavement educator; former volunteer firefighter and EMT-B; newsletter editor [Kerrville, TX]
- Clayton Cobler, Secretary ~ Director, Metro Ambulance Service; Paramedic Instructor; Coroner/Medical Examiner [Meridian, MS]
- Aubrey Futrell ~ Louisiana State Trooper (retired); former Director, Peace Officer Standards & Training for the State of LA; private law enforcement consultant and trainer [Brandon, MS]
- Sandra L. Jablonski, Treasurer ~ Paramedic; EMT instructor/trainer; former Executive Director,Southern Alleghenies EMS Council [Hollidaysburg, PA]
- Jim Perry (posthumously) ~ Captain, Los Angeles Fire Department; Editor, Los Angeles Fire Fighter magazine.
What we do
- publish three free, online newsletters
- offer a free, online study program about grief and loss
- provide free one-on-one support to individuals coping with the death of a loved one
- provide free resources and advice for emergency responders struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder
- teach in-service programs for the general public and emergency responders, their families and department chaplains including How to Understand Grief Seminars, Grief and the Chemically Dependent, and Grieving Behind the Badge
HOW YOU CAN HELP Here is just a sampling of how your generous gift will help us to continue our work:
- pay for our monthly newsletter production cost to Constant Contact, our email marketing provider
- allow us to continue to publish our three online newsletters free of charge: The Road Less Traveled, Bereaved Parents, and Grieving Behind the Badge (for emergency responders)
- offset the cost of the general operating expense of The Sweeney Alliance
Please note that no board member receives a salary or payment for teaching classes. Also, I donate my time to publish the newsletters and Coursework in Grief. We rely solely on donations to continue our work. Thank you for considering a donation to The Sweeney Alliance.